05 February 2007

Spreaking Of...

Voice acting. No, really. Voice acting in PC gaming is, in my oh-so-humble opinion, is one of the most neglected and under-appreciated aspects of the industry. When it's adequate or even good, typically reviews don't take too much notice. If it's bad, the reviewer makes a note, or at least makes fun of it.

Me, though, I'm totally different. I'll ignore the unimportant stuff like, say, graphics, level design, and replay value, for the truly crucial factors such as the aforementioned voice acting, the quality of the commode models, and the endless potential for hilarity in ragdoll physics.

In seriousness, I'm all for discussing the more puerile aspects of gaming. (Not to be insulting and say gibs and shotguns aren't puerile joy in purest form.) But to me, immersion is the thing, and horrible voice can bring you right back out, or make the experience. Though now, years later, hearing "Ah, Freeman," for the thousandth time is okay.

First example of horrid voice acting: Chaser. Chaser had a lot of problems, to be fair, and it had a lot of potential as well, and a ton of almost-epiphanic moments that could have gone down in history if not for the unpolished and at times unfinished overall feel. But the voice acting on the protagonist's part was so terrible as to be hilarious. The other actors did okay, and occasionally very well. But the lead's job was pathetic.

Far Cry is another example, though much, much less bad. Jack's performance is...sincere, if nothing else. In terms of stellar voice work, I'd cite FEAR first and above all. The reactive, interactive and visceral shouts of the Replica soldiers are some of the most satisfying aural bliss to make your ears bleed.

I can talk about the way the dialogue reacts to the situation, i.e. if I happen to be hunkered in a doorway a soldier'll shout my location, or other such changing factors. They'll call for reinforcements or give and answer orders. But even that isn't the best part.

In the demo after mowing down the majority of a squad in slo-mo and crouching behind some pallets while reloading, I heard the CO holler to his remaining man "You! Recon!"

I'd heard variants of yessir endlessly, so it blew me away and I'm still slack-jawed with amazement as the subordinate replied "No fucking way!!"

Bottom line, though: Gordon Freeman's dialogue is the best gaming has never heard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.